Sunday, September 6, 1992

3:30 pm

So I did the wedding last night. Pretty boring. But should be an extra $80. I'm still very frustrated with the language. But I talked with José about politics, work, etc. We had a little excitement finding the photo shop flooded upon our arrival there. Nice diversion. Anyway, the wedding was okay. I do enjoy the food. I've had some great fish -- swordfish, prawns, cream of lobster soup -- pork cutlets, veal, cream of almond soup, all sorts of fun things. But it's still work. I was talking to Eva, the Swedish secretary at Miramar, and De today. Complaining about Spain. Eva had her hours cut from 8 to 4 hours a day. Not enough to live on, of course, but what can you do? Everyone seems to have money problems here. I've decided that I'll offer to stay on at work if they pay me $5/hour daily. If not, I'll leave the 15th. And if I'm not paid by the 15th, I'll strike again. So really, only 7 more days, because they probably won't accept my offer. It would be nice to earn a little extra money until October. Then I'd have money to travel. Maybe it will work out yet!

10:50 pm

¡Hola! What a funny sound. I'd like to write about it, but I have to hang the laundry. Oh shit, it can wait. I was in my apartment -- stoned -- when Annelies called up to ask if I wanted to get my laundry. (I use her washing machine.) So I went and visited with her and Corrine. Annelies is so funny! We were talking about jobs -- like always, it seems -- and Annelies said she doesn't have to worry about that now since the government pays her. So she just meditates. Then she launched into a story of a "yoga retreat" on a hill, 7 kilometers from any villages, where she spent a week. She felt locked in with a bunch of loonies -- but she couldn't leave for a week. What a great experience. Anyway, "hola" came from the greeting as I passed by Danny and Matilde on my way back home.

Cooking popcorn in extra virgin olive oil. Strange mixture of Spanish and American gastronomic cultures. Oh yeah. Annelies was talking about De's family pictures from Ireland. How they looked like the Bronte family -- and there was De in the middle. Dressed to the nines in fashionable turn-of-the-century Irish outerwear -- with perfectly tilted hats. And here, De parades around half-naked and "beasting" (as Corrine says.) But she still wears a rakish straw hat!

So much salt in this popcorn. And dry. I was thinking that De's tilted hat is a hint of the conservative background from which she comes. A throwback to the old ways. I wrote back to Ann and Ann. They're so great. I said I was thinking about gay/lesbian educational issues as a field to get into. Ann H. is such a traveler. She says her feet belong to gypsies. Yes! It sure is interesting to see who writes/calls and who doesn't. Very interesting. Revealing. My back hurts.

Orange juice and popcorn. Love it! The juice here sure is good. It's interesting to compare Spain to the U.S. The U.S. is more health-conscious. Here everyone smokes, they tend to use a lot of salt, drinking's a way of life. Although I do see a lot of joggers along the beach. And they certainly walk a lot more here. It's also interesting to see they have a Youth Sexual Orientation Center in Málaga, with the phone number listed along with police, Red Cross, etc. on page two of the local paper. They also just liberalized abortion laws now, when the U.S. is about to de-liberalize them. José says it's amazing how far Spain's progressed in just 16 years of democracy. Yes, it is. Considering the U.S. has had 216! Shouldn't we know better by now? They've separated church and state, relaxed morality laws, extended rights to former outcasts. Supposedly, Gorbachev had Spain in mind when he thought of how best to democratize his country. The government is still definitely ahead of the people, however. Old traditions die hard. Still a lot of machismo. Still a sense of country bumpkin. It may take another generation. A poll said 85% of Spanish youth do not disapprove of homosexuality. That's certainly hopeful!

I just had the song "Cherish" by the Association going through my head. I loved that song! And "Hooked on a Feeling." I also liked "I Woke Up in Love This Morning." Wasn't David Cassidy just dreamy? (Is Shirley Jones dead? I can't remember! I know Carolyn Jones is dead. But Shirley? No, I think her husband, Marty Adler died.)

I've really upset myself. During last year's travels I thought it would be great to videotape people's "stories." A variety of travelers. Well, dammit, they're all here an Málaga. I've got the equipment. I could make a documentary. Annelies is full of stories. And De. Dave and Gitta. Joel. Julian. Mitchell. It could work. Another potential multi-million dollar project. Maybe I need to go back to the states for a little boost in confidence, first. I need Jenny here to push me. Or anyone. Myself? I've really been brain-storming this idea. Let's see if it goes anywhere. I feel I'm on the brink...of something.

1:00 am

I'm really angry with myself. Why didn't I think of this earlier -- when I had the equipment and time? Now I've got a week or so. I'll have to come back. Or do it somewhere else. Travels. I want to concentrate on that. International people, too. Young, "Let's Go"-types. God, life can be exciting. I have to get Annelies to help me.

No comments: